Solar-powered milk chillers for off-grid applications are the company’s initial product. Future plans include products to meet fundamental needs for electricity, clean water, sanitation, communications, and housing.
Making Ice While the Sun Shines
Company name: Sustainable Systems International, Gaithersburg, Maryland
The MilkPod is a 100 percent solar-powered, self-contained bulk milk chiller designed for use by dairies to collect milk in remote villages where electricity is either unreliable or unavailable. On a typical day, the solar panels run a high-efficiency chiller that makes ice in a well-insulated tank. The ice is used to rapidly cool the milk to 40°C as it is delivered by the farmers.
How it changes the world
MilkPods are cheaper, cleaner, and quieter than diesel-powered chillers. They provide economic opportunity for rural farmers, and improves the quality of life and the environment in the village.
The MilkPod is a 100 percent pollution-free alternative to diesel generators and coal-fired central power plants. In our target markets of India, Pakistan and Africa, grid power is generated with unregulated coal power plants and rural areas rely on diesel generators because the grid is unreliable. The air pollution in these countries is some of the worst in the world. Also oil spills contaminate soil and ground water.
The MilkPod makes a positive impact to the community and the environment by:
- Reducing air pollution
- Reducing soil and water pollution
- Improve the health of villagers
- Provides a more cost effective alternative to diesel generators
- MilkPod is very quiet unlike generators
- Brings economic development to rural villages by opening up markets for their milk.
- MilkPod uses water and ice for thermal storage in lieu of toxic lead acid batteries.
- MilkPod uses recycled shipping containers.
The sustainable aspects of the MilkPod support our corporate mission of sustainable infrastructure development.
If you win?
Winning the Global Forum would accelerate company growth along all aspects of the business, particularly:
- Expand business development beyond initial target markets
- Increase the number of customer demonstration projects
- Invest in R&D sooner
Memorable Cleantech Open moment?
The Cleantech Open required Sustainable Systems International to get things out of our head and onto paper, where we then took action. We have gotten world-class advice, coaching and feedback from some of the top minds in the industry, all for essentially free.